WEEK 1, 21-25 NOVEMBER – STRIKE DAYS 24 AND 25 NOVEMBER
- What: Pop by to find information, pick up some UCU leaflets, stickers, and posters, and/or ask us any questions about the strikes, including what it is all about. For students and staff.
- When: 11.00am-3.00pm, Tue 22 Nov; 11.00am-1.00pm Wed 23 Nov. If you can spare 30 min to staff the stall in any of these days, please add your name to the spreadsheet we’re keeping.
- Where: Students’ Union, 2nd floor Main Entrance
- What: A picket line is where workers and union reps (‘picketers’ or ‘pickets’) stand outside a workplace to tell other people why they are striking and encourage them not to cross a picket line in solidarity with striking workers. Bring instruments to make music or some noise and don’t forget to wear pink.
- When: 8.30-11am, Thu 24 Nov and Fri 25 Nov.
- Where: locations around campus, including the Main Building, Queen’s Building, Law Building, Glamorgan Building, Corbett Rd entrance to the John Percival Building, Abacws Building, and Allensbank Rd for the Heath campus. Contact your departmental rep or firstname.lastname@example.org for details. If you are organising a picket in your school, please let us know by completing our webform. If there is no picket organised for your school, please join the picket in the Main Building.
- What: Join our strike rallies to hear solidarity speeches from other unions and organisations, and to share experiences and show our strength. If you would like to speak or do a creative act at the rally, get in touch with Phillip Allsopp (allsoppPJ@cardiff.ac.uk). Details of speakers will be circulated very soon on our social media platforms.
- When: 11.15am-12.00pm, Thu 24 Nov, Fri 25 Nov *Please note: The Friday Rally is now at noon*
- Where: Gather outside the gates of the Main Building, facing Park Place, opposite Centre for Student Life, Students Union, and Greggs. Depending on numbers, we might head to Alexandra Gardens.
Teach-outs & meetings:
- What: Teach-outs are free public events addressing themes and questions raised by the strike. Students, staff and members of the public are welcome.
- When and Where:
Mon 21 Nov
- PGR Tutors: know your rights on strike action. 6pm, Centre for Student Life room 1.26 or on Zoom (hybrid event).
Wed 23 Nov
- Banner Making session. join staff and students making creative banners for our pickets and rallies. 4-6pm in the Students Union ‘Y Plas’ Food Hall (2nd floor).
Thu 24 Nov
- Tour of picket lines. Meet 9am outside the Centre for Student Life / Student Union steps. Tour ends by joining the rally at 11.00am. For students.
- Cardiff UCU working groups lunch. 1-2pm. In the Students Union ‘Y Plas’ Food Hall (2nd floor). Ever been curious about our working groups around Workload, Anti-Casualisation, Equality & Diversity, University Democratisation. Join us for lunch, where we will update and discuss plans. For UCU members.
Fri 25 Nov
- Tour of picket lines. Meet 9am outside the Centre for Student Life / Student Union steps. Meet for rally at 12.00 outside Main Building (Park Place side). For students.
- What and when:
2.00-2.40pm ‘The Hostile Environment in HE’ (Lizzy Willmington, LAWPL)
2.40-3.20pm ‘Why We Need More Strikes’ (Steve Davies, WISERD)
3.20-4.00pm ‘Why and When Social Movements Win’ (Emmy Eklundh, LAWPL)
- What and when:
- Where: Rooms 3C and 3D – 3rd Floor, Students’ Union
Sun 27 Nov
- Book launch: ‘Workers Can Win: A Guide to Organising at Work’ by Ian Allison. 4.30pm in the Cathays Community Centre. This event is not being organised by our branch, but some of our members are involved and it feels very timely for our members. Book your free place through Eventbrite.
Coming up in Week 2:
Wed 30 Nov
- Strike day. Events in Cardiff and London. If you would like to be part of the delegation going to London, please contact Patrick Sutton (email@example.com).
Sat 3 Dec
- Cardiff UCU benefit gig – Shift (basement of Capitol Centre) 1-10pm